Content

Adam und Eva, Tilman Riemenschneider, 1491/93

Tilman Riemenschneider

Tilman Riemenschneider is the most important carver and sculptor from the German Late Gothic era. He operated a large workshop in Würzburg between 1485 and 1531. He supplied his work to Franconia, far beyond the city’s boundaries. Riemenschneider’s most famous pieces include the carved winged altars in Münnerstadt, Rothenburg und Creglingen. He created stone figures for the Marienkapelle (Chapel of Mary) in Würzburg, the Bamberger Kaisergrab (Emperor’s Tomb) and the funeral monuments of the Prince-Bishops Rudolf von Scherenberg and Lorenz von Bibra in Würzburg’s Cathedral. With about 80 sculptures, reliefs and other pieces, the Mainfränkisches Museum has the largest Riemenschneider collection in the world. Pieces from all the master’s fields of activity can be viewed next to one another: architectural stone sculpture, wooden altar figures, small sculptures and secular pieces. Pieces from all creative phases are on display. They allow visitors to follow Riemenschneider’s artistic development from the early days to his later years. At the same time, they provide a unique overview of personal creations, pieces from his workshop and his numerous associates. The collection of the Mainfränkisches Museum arose from the inventory of the Historischer Verein von Unterfranken und Aschaffenburg (Historical Association of Lower Franconia and Aschaffenburg), the city of Würzburg and the Fränkischer Kunst- und Altertumsverein (Franconian Art and Antiquity Association). They are complemented by loans and fortunate acquisitions, such as the alabaster group of The Madonna and the Child in the lap of St. Anne, which was acquired in 2006. The collection provides an extensive impression of the versatile work of Tilman Riemenschneider.

Opening Hours

Museum für Franken
Staatliches Museum für Kunst- und Kulturgeschichte

1st April to 31st October
10:00 - 17:00
1st November to 31st March
10:00 - 16:00
Closed on Mondays
Opening hours on public holidays

Department of City History in the Fürstenbaumuseum
16th March to 31st October
10:00 - 17:00
1st November to 15th March
Closed
Closed on Mondays

Address

Museum für Franken
Staatliches Museum für Kunst und Kulturgeschichte

Festung Marienberg
Oberer Burgweg
97082 Würzburg

Telephone +49 (0)931-20594 0
Telefax     +49 (0)931-20594 56

Sekretariat@remove-this.museum-franken.de

How to find us

Facebook

no news in this list.