The History of the City
The section for municipal history at the Fürstenbau of the Museum für Franken has been closed since June 7, 2021, due to preliminary construction works for the renovation of the fortress. Some objects will be exhibited in the Museum für Franken’s Zeughaus (armory), others will be stored and restored for presentation in the future museum.
Since 1992, the Museum für Franken’s section for municipal history had been integrated into the Fürstenbaumuseum of Würzburg’s Marienberg Fortress. Comprising a large number of spectacular works of art and concise text documentation, this section visualizes the history of the city of Würzburg from the 8th century to the present day as well as the history of the Marienberg hill, both as part of the municipal and regional history. Here, the two large-size models of the city of Würzburg are a particular highlight; the image of late medieval Würzburg is vividly documented by the wood-carved model “Würzburg around 1525”, whereas another model testifies the inconceivable extent of the destruction of Würzburg’s inner city due to the bombing of March 16, 1945 by the Royal Air Force.